Monday, January 25, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

Yes, I do realize that it is the end of January and I am just now getting around to posting about my New Year's resolution. In my defense though, I don't typically make resolutions. In the past I had not been able to keep them, so I just figured I should cut out the middle man and skip them altogether. Sounds logical, right? The difference this year is that it isn't my typical resolution. In the past I've resolved to never eat dessert (which lasted all of 3 minutes), to exercise every day (does typing count?), to not be grouchy to my husband (Hey Doc, stop laughing, at least I thought about it), and other similar ideas. Looking back, I think that maybe I set myself up for failure by my unrealistic expectations. This year my goal was different. My resolution was/is to be more positive. Simple. I don't have to be positive all the time, just more often. For example, on NYE Doc and I went to a local event. I'm not going to tell you which one, but I will say that it made this list http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE4BS1Y820081229. The next day I talked to most of my family and friends, and all asked how the night went. Old Melissa would have started by complaining about how cold it was, then picked out all of the pitfalls of the night to expound upon (and trust me, there were plenty). This year, I talked about the amazing fireworks, bragged about what a fun experience it was, and laughed about the humorous glitches. Even today, when I think about NYE I smile and am grateful that I had the opportunity to go. It is amazing how much a simple change in perspective can actually change your life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment