Friday, April 23, 2010

10 Little Things that Lead to a Happier, Healthier You

Trop50 Little Things for Happy, Healthy Living
1000 Little Things for Moms from Trop50


Twittermoms is at it again. This time they are teaming up with Tropicana Juicy Rewards to promote a "Spring Renewal" blogging program. This program is designed to help you to live a healthier, happier life by focusing on the little ways you can live better each and every day. For a sample of some other bloggers' ideas check out The Thousand Little Things page that TwitterMoms has up. There are some amazing bloggers with great ideas out there to help us all live better. Being a (sometimes) blogger myself, I've decided to contribute my top 10 little things as well. Enjoy!
  1. Smile - The Facial Feedback Hypothesis essentially states that smiling actually makes you happy. While I don't know that smiling muscles send a message to my brain to make me happy, I do know that when I smile, others often return the favor.
  2. Breathe - When I'm stressed I often find myself unconsciously holding my breath. I don't know if I'm the only one that does it, but if I remind myself to breathe I can often relax and think more clearly.
  3. Laugh - Sometimes my kids do something hilarious. I used to try to keep myself from laughing because I didn't want to encourage their inappropriate behavior. Now, I laugh! Life is too short! (Though being a responsible parent, I still explain to them why they shouldn't do it again.)
  4. Play hooky - Now I'm not suggesting that you don't take care of your responsibilities. I don't want anyone to get fired from your job, but there are plenty of occasions where you can play hooky. My kids are 4 and 5. We have skipped ballet because it is too beautiful outside to be in a studio. Enjoy life!
  5. Eat dessert - . . . in moderation. You have to make smart and healthy decisions regarding food, but don't torture yourself. If you want a piece of chocolate . . . eat one! I personally favor dark chocolate because I can rationalize that choice more easily, but whatever your food "vice", enjoy it. Savor each small bite and don't make yourself feel bad about indulging once in a while.
  6. Get moving (but don't call it exercise) - For some reason the term "exercise" feels like work to me. I love to go for walks, play DDR, play T-ball with the kiddos, bike ride, etc. Find what you love to DO and DO it.
  7. Learn something new - My kids are ALWAYS asking me questions. Sometimes I know the answers, but sometimes I don't. When I don't, we like to find the answers as a family. Usually we'll just google it, but sometimes we'll do an experiment (it is the science geek in me). I love to learn new things, discover new ideas, and encourage my kids creativity.
  8. Look through the eyes of a child - Take time to enjoy the amazing aspects of life. Marvel at the serenity of the water, the vivid colors of the flowers, the beautiful songs of the birds. Take a minute to look at the shapes in the clouds. There is so much to enjoy in life if you allow yourself the opportunity. When you are stressed out, look around you and pretend you are seeing your surroundings for the very first time.
  9. Make a list - Sometimes I feel like I work all day and don't get anything done. If I make a list, then I can see all that I've accomplished. I make lists for items I want, goals I have, places to visit, movies to see, books to read, etc. Personally, lists give me motivation and keep me focused.
  10. LOVE - Love life. Love your family. Love your job. If you don't have anything in your life right now that you love, then find something. Do you like to paint? Take a class or just buy supplies and paint. Do you like to read? Join or start a book club. Even if you feel like you're too busy right now, make time. Doing something you love will make you happy. I've found that being happy makes everything in life seem just a little bit easier.
For taking the time to read my list, I am able to offer you a one time use code for Tropicana Juicy Rewards - TWMOM-READR. This one-time use code (worth 1 pt) is valid for new accounts ONLY. Must be entered within 6 hours of creating your account. Limit one new account bonus code per new account. All accounts must be created and all codes entered by May 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM EST.

Disclaimer:
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tropicana Trop50 blogging program to be eligible to win 6 free Juicy Rewards points and a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment