Thursday, December 9, 2010

Review - NBC's Community - Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas

I was recently contacted by One2One to participate in a project where I was able to get a sneak peek at this week's Community on NBC. In exchange, I was asked to give my honest review.  To give you a bit of background about myself, I have watched Community in the past and enjoyed it.  However it is not one of my "must-see" shows.  Now, before I give you my review, here's a bit about the episode:

When Abed (Danny Pudi) wakes up in stop-motion animation, he takes it as a sign that he and the group must re-discover the meaning of Christmas. Meanwhile, Jeff (Joel McHale) and Britta (Gillian Jacobs) become growingly concerned about Abed's mental health and enlist the help of Professor Duncan (John Oliver). The group undergoes hypnosis to explore Abed's winter wonderland and soon unravel the truth behind Abed’s madness. Chevy Chase, Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald Glover, and Ken Jeong also star.
To be completely honest, within the first few minutes I was bored and even a little confused.  I didn't really like the intro to the show.  I didn't enjoy or appreciate some of the inappropriate (in my opinion) humor. I didn't like that they described themselves as being in stop-motion.  Having watched the entire program I understand that the explanation was important to the plot.  Only Abed saw them in stop-motion which is why the group sought the help of Professor Duncan.   That being said, by the first commercial break I was hooked.   While I could have done without some of the sarcasm, I just love Shirley in the show.  I found myself laughing out loud during a couple of her lines.  In addition to the humor, I also appreciated the message.  As you may have read here, for me Christmas is about new and old traditions.  It is about family, friends, and opportunities.  The magic of Christmas is not in the gifts, it is in the experiences we all share.  I personally love the idea that no matter what you believe, Christmas can be a time when we all come together to create our own magic!

*Disclaimer - I reviewed this episode through One2One.  I did not receive any compensation in exchange for my review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment