Through its annual New Author Contest, which kicked off March 22, Cheerios® cereal will make this dream a reality for one aspiring children’s book author. One Grand Prize Winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize and a possible publishing deal with Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, in addition to having his or her book featured inside Cheerios cereal boxes nationwide.I don't know if they had this contest when I was still teaching, but if they did, then I wish I would have known about it. My high school students wrote some of the most amazing children's books about the science topics we discussed in class. The books were colorful, bright, attractive, educational, and just plain fun. I'd love to have seen how they would have done. However, since I can't go back in time, I'd also love to see how some of my readers do! So get your thinking caps on and come up with something great. Perhaps it is something you've been thinking about for years. Maybe it is something you just thought about today. If you are creative and want to be an author, now is your chance! Good luck!
Founded on the belief that reading is a key building block for learning and life, the Cheerios New Author Contest encourages ambitious authors to write and submit an original story, in either English or Spanish, suitable for children ages three to eight. The contest, which is an extension of the Spoonfuls of Stories program, is part of the brand’s ongoing commitment to nurturing the whole child and connecting families by fostering a shared love of reading.
Laurie Isop, of Renton, Wash., won the literary lottery when she was named Grand Prize Winner of the 2009 Cheerios New Author Contest. Laurie, a small business owner, mother of two boys, and aspiring author since the age of 12, can now add “published author” to her resume. This spring, Laurie’s book How Do You Hug a Porcupine? will be featured in more than three million specially-marked boxes of Cheerios and will also be available in bookstores nationwide beginning this July.
Those who want to follow in Laurie’s footsteps and think they have the “write” stuff can visit www.spoonfulsofstoriescontest.com from March 22 through July 15, 2011 to find out more.
How would you like to win a box of Cheerios and a "Create-your-own" book kit for your kids (or yourself)? It might be just what you need to motivate you to write a book and perhaps win this year's contest.
Here's what you have to do for your chance to win.
- Tell me what you think makes a children's book AMAZING. Is it a catchy rhyme, a funny theme, a topic that makes you want to cuddle or something else?
- Follow me via GFC and leave your user name in the comments (sidebar)
- Follow me via twitter and tweet this giveaway using #myblogspark and @rmgm (Leave a link to your tweet in the comments)
- Like me on Facebook and leave your initials in the comments
- Only open to US residents
- Winner will be chosen using random.org
- Giveaway ends 11:59 pm ET on May 1, 2011
- Include your email address in your comment if it is not available on your profile page.
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
- Prize will be sent directly from MyBlogSpark. I am not responsible for lost or damaged products.