I enjoy the written word. It is something that can be absorbed at my own pace. I can read quickly if I'm in a hurry and only need to get the gist of what I'm reading. I can take my time and read slowly if I need to understand every single detail. I can read for hours on end, or stop after a single sentence. When I read I can imagine that the characters look like someone I know. I can hear their voices in an accent or dialect that feels like home or takes me to a new place. Reading is an escape. It is an educational tool. The ability to read gives you the ability to learn. It is a gift that cannot be taken away. Reading is freedom - to learn, to live, to take you anywhere you want to go!
One of my favorite books is The Double Helix by James Watson. I've read it at least half a dozen times over my life, and each time I find myself amused by this simple story of the discovery DNA. People laugh when I recommend it, but for me it provides insight into the reality of science. It shows scientists as real people. It makes you realize that the names Watson & Crick could easily have been replaced by Franklin or Pauling. It is an escape into the world of science with the power to provide some education as well.
I know what you're thinking . . . You're probably wondering what I'm doing on an Avon Addicts blog hop. Well, the reality is that I'm a science geek. I'm a mystery reading mom. I loved the Twilight and Hunger Games books. I'm also an Avon Addict. The joy of reading is that you can be all of the above and more. You can read to learn, to relax, to escape, to lose yourself in any storyline you want. With a library card or a couple of dollars you can find entertainment to last a lifetime once you know how to read.
Would you like to win a random selection of books? (Only some will be Avon books.) Here's your chance!
Mandatory Entry: What kind of books do you like to read? Who is your favorite author? Tell me about your reading preferences below for your chance to win a small box of books.
Optional Extra Entries:
- Follow me on Twitter. Post your username in the comments.
- Tweet about this giveaway using @rmgm. Post a link to your tweet here. This can be done once daily.
- Follow me publicly on Google Friend Connect and post a comment with your username.
- Like me on Facebook. Leave a comment with your Facebook name (or initials if you don't want to post your full name).
- Post about this giveaway publicly on Facebook. Make sure you include a link back here and @MomOnTheEdge so that I can see that I was mentioned. Post the link to your post here in the comments. This can also be done once daily.
- Only open to US residents
- Winner will be chosen using random.org
- Giveaway ends 11:59pm ET on December 27, 2012
- Include your email address in your mandatory comment if it is not available on your profile page.
- Winner will have 24 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
- Prize will be sent directly from me. I am not responsible for lost or damaged products.