Friday, January 7, 2011

Any Novice Wine Drinkers Among Us?

Personally, I'm not a wine drinker.  For some reason, the taste of wine makes me think of church rather than fun, relaxation, or a good time.  However, that doesn't mean that wine doesn't intrigue me.  I live in an area that is full of wineries.  I've toured several and taken part in wine tastings as well.  I think it is interesting to hear which food accentuates a particular wine (or vise versa) and why.   It is also great to know when entertaining, since wine seems to be more and more popular in my circle of friends lately.  As such, I was eager to learn about a site called Pair Savvy from One2One.   

Both a site and a mobile app, Pair Savvy allows you to pair wine (or even beer) with an appropriate cheese.  You can select the pairing by choosing a particular wine, beer, or cheese that you are interested in, and the site will tell you what else you should have to go with it.   Does that make sense?  If not, check out the site, it really is a simple concept, but I'm having a hard time making it sound just right. 

The site is rather fun to play with.  I actually had no idea that so many varieties of beer, wine or cheese actually existed until I started goofing around with it.   I also love that you are able to save your pairings.  That way, if I find a pair I really like, I know I'll be able to find it again. 

I was disappointed in one aspect of the site.  There wasn't an explanation for the pairings or a description of the wine, beer or cheese.  For example, I was expected to read something like, "This intensely flavored semi-soft cheese distinctly contradicts the soft earthy flavor of this red wine . . . "  so that I would know more of what to expect with the wine and/or cheese.  

Overall, it is definitely a site/app with a purpose.  For the right person, it could easily provide you with an option when looking to choose a wine for yourself or to entertain.

*Disclaimer:  I am introducing and reviewing this site through One2One.  I did not receive any compensation in exchange for my post.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment