Sunday, July 11, 2010

Our Summer Bonding Project

My girls LOVE crafts.  They are both pretty artistic, very creative, and are always excited to show off their creations.  Unfortunately, as a non-artistic mom, it is sometimes hard for me to come up with ideas and projects for my girls to work on.   When I do come up with something, I often find that it is actually an activity that I have to do most of the work for.  At 4 and 6, Pumpkin and Peanut are not ready for glue-guns and sharp scissors.  So I end up crafting while listening to them ask, "Is it my turn yet?" and "When do I get to do something?"

When Twittermoms and GlueDots offered mom bloggers the opportunity to receive some free GlueDots to use in projects with our kids, I was thrilled!  I received the GlueDots in the mail and waited for more information on exactly what we'd be doing with them.  While I was a little disappointed that I didn't receive detailed instructions on specific projects to do with my kiddos (remember, I am not very creative), I was thrilled with the amount of GlueDots I did receive.  With that many, I could try several projects and not worry about running out before we found the perfect craft for our family.



After much debate and negotiation, the girls and I decided to create flower clips for their hair using the GlueDots.  Peanut and Pumpkin have received some gorgeous hair clips from Little Diva Tutus this past year.  People would always compliment them on the clips when they would wear them, which made them want to wear them more often.  Unfortunately, they didn't have enough to match every outfit, and I wasn't willing to buy them any more.  Flower hair clips are a little expensive, especially when they tend to get lost.   So, we set out on a mission to find the perfect flowers and clips in order to create the ideal hair accessory.  Here is what we ended up with:



I couldn't be more thrilled with the process and the end product.  The girls had a great time and were both able to participate fully in making these clips.  After a trip to Pat Catan's to pick up the flowers, butterflies, felt, and clips, we were ready to go.  For the flowers, the girls used the Craft GlueDots to attach the layers of the flowers together.  They used the Mini GlueDots to attach the gem to the middle of the flower.  I still ended up using a glue gun to attach the flower to the clip with a piece of felt.  For the butterflies, I used a gluegun to attach a piece of felt to the clip and the girls used the Craft GlueDots to attach the butterfly to the felt.  The clips were very easy to make and so inexpensive.  I think we might recreate this process as an activity for Pumpkin's birthday this fall. 


For more information on GlueDots and fun projects you can do with your kids, be sure to check out their facebook page here

Disclaimer:  I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Glue Dots blogging contest to be eligible to receive a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent project. The hair clips look very professional.

    Happy to visit your blog,

    couponboa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Enjoyed reading your blog.

    Wish to see you again,

    couponboa

    ReplyDelete