Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is a day to celebrate the great men in your life.  I am fortunate to have many great men to honor on this special day:

Dad - You are an amazing man.  You work hard, play hard, and love us with all your heart.  Over the years you've coached me in countless sports, taught me how to coach others, and showed me how to be a kind and generous person.  You've never met a stranger and generally believe in the good in others.  You have high expectations, but countless compliments when we accomplish the goals we set out to achieve.  Though we have argued over the years, I could not have asked for a better father.  I recently heard this song for the first time and immediately thought of you.  While all parts do not apply, you'll know immediately the parts that do.  Thank you for all you have done for me.  I love you!



Doc - You are an amazing father to our two beautiful little girls.  They look at you with love and admiration.  While they don't always appreciate all that you do for them, some day they will.  The time will come before too long when I expect  that I will lose some of my ability to talk to the girls without an argument.  I take solace in the fact that you will be there for them.  They will still be able to talk and laugh with you.  You will be my eyes and ears when I need them most.  The girls are very lucky to have you as a daddy!

Dad2 - In the father-in-law lottery, I think I won the jackpot.  You are easy to talk to and laugh with.  Your sense of humor makes any gathering more fun.  Your love for your family, while shown in different ways, is amazing.  While I love you like a Dad, I appreciate the fact that you seem to understand that I can't bring myself to call you that.  Thank you for all you do for us! 

Grandpa - A man of few words, a hug and the words "Hola Mija" can make my heart melt.  While you never have much to say, your presence alone tells me that you love me.  Thank you for being a part of some of the most important moments in my life.

Grandpa - It is hard to believe you have been gone now for ten years.  When I think of you I remember your sense of humor, your work ethic, your sweet laugh, and your penchant for falling asleep just about anywhere.  As a farmer, you worked long hard days, yet when you would come in you would always have a smile on your face (and often a box of crackerjack for me!).  You were proud of your children above all else.  The fact that I still miss you like crazy and am brokenhearted that my girls will never know you should tell you how important you were to me.

While this Father's Day post is a little late, I still felt it needed to be posted.  If you forgot your Dad or another important man in your life yesterday, please take a moment today to tell them how important they are to you.  Life is too short, and you never know what next year will bring.  To all father's out there - Happy Father's Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment