Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Weight Journey

As a mom, woman, person in our present day stress and junk food-filled society, I have weight issues. Am I obese? No. Am I overweight? I guess that depends on who you ask. I would say that I am. I am definitely not "in shape" and have been working on developing both a healthy life-style as well as a healthy body image (for both myself and my girls). Approximately one year ago I invested in Tony Horton's Power 90 program and it was great. I lost approximately 15-20 lbs and was back at my pre-baby weight and size. (Though admittedly, I don't think clothes will EVER fit me like they did before I had my girls.) Unfortunately, Power 90 got boring and I got lazy. I've only put on about 5 lbs of the weight I lost, but I don't want to go back to where I started, so I'm starting another weight loss/maintenance journey. I purchased EASportsActive and began a 30 day challenge. I loved it for the first week or two . . . then got bored again. I got tired of hearing my trainer say the same positive things . . . it seemed so insincere (but really, how sincere can a video game be?). I grew irritated with the Wii not registering my movements on a few of the exercises. Now I know that there are some exercises that I might not always do exactly right, but the bicep curl . . . every day?!?! I'm pretty sure I know how to do a bicep curl. It isn't like it is rocket science. So, here I am, trying to find a new exercise program and a way to keep myself accountable. Any suggestions?

In addition to exercise, I need to find a way to control my food intake. I am an emotional eater. When I am sad, angry, depressed, happy . . . I eat! I eat to drown my sorrows and I eat to celebrate my accomplishments. I am aware of this, and sometimes I can control it. Other times, I fall short in my attempt to count calories and eat in moderation. As Paula Poundstone once said, "I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge." Rather than purge, I have decided to try Sensa. According to the Sensa website,

"
The scientific principle behind Sensa is remarkably simple. As you eat smell and taste receptors send messages to your brain which release hormones that tell your body it's time to stop eating. This is a phenomenon we call Sensory Specific Satiety. By enhancing smell, Sensa Tastants were designed to help speed up the process and trigger your "I feel full" signal, so you eat less and feel more satisfied. Because Sensa works with your body's natural impulses, rather than against them, there are no feelings of hunger or intense cravings."

So, I'm hoping that it works. I think that maybe, just maybe if I can have some help in eating less it might increase my motivation to work out more. Wish me luck!

*I have not received any product nor compensation for this post or any related to it. Everything contained in this post and all future weight related posts are solely based on my own opinion (unless otherwise indicated in that post).

0 comments:

Post a Comment