Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What are you reading?

As I have mentioned before, English was never my forte when I was in school. I am not an expert on proper grammar, themes, or denouement. However, that being said, I LOVE to read. I have loved to read since I was a child. I've been reading to my girls since they were only a couple of days old. Reading is my escape. I read just about anything from trashy romance novels to scientific articles on the link between telomeres and cancer. My favorite book of all time is The Double Helix by James Watson. I loved the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. If you give me a "good" book (meaning one that I find interesting), I will definitely be done reading it within the week. Unfortunately, If you were to ask me a series of questions about the book, I can't guarantee that I will be able to answer any of them. When I read, I do so for enjoyment. Sometimes that enjoyment comes from learning something new and interesting (as is the case with my scientific articles). Sometimes the enjoyment is purely based on a temporary escape from reality. I just finished a book that was kind enough to afford me a bit of both types of enjoyment. I was fortunate enough to receive an Advanced Readers Copy of The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen. It is a novel based on the true story of Sofonisba Anguissola, the first known female Renaissance painter. I had actually never heard of Sofonisba Anguissola before, but to be fair History wasn't my best subject either (neither was art). I found myself absorbed in the romance and relationships of the book, while also wondering how much of it was really true. At the end of the book, the author, Lynn Cullen gives you a brief history of Sofonisba so that you might be able to determine where the true story ends and literary imagination begins.

So, back to my original question . . . What are you reading? Having just finished this book, I am set to start another. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell is next on my list. Unfortunately, my list is getting shorter so I need some ideas for other books to locate and put on my list. Any suggestions?

*Note - I actually don't remember where I received the ARC of The Creation of Eve. No one paid me (or even asked me) to create a review. I simply enjoyed the book and wanted to share it with others. I plan to post brief reviews of many of the books that I read so that family and friends can read about them and let me know if they want to borrow them. If you are interested in reading this, please send me an email. I only have the one copy, but will be happy to pass it on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment