Sunday, October 31, 2010

Equip Them Well. Protect Your Kids from MRSA

I'm sure most of you have heard of MRSA. If you're like me though, you were only aware of Healthcare-Associated (HA-MRSA). This is the type that occurs in hospitals and nursing homes. According to the site StopMRSAnow.org, there is a second type known as Community-Associated (CA-MRSA). This type of MRSA is spread in schools, gyms, homes, and locker rooms.
(from the site) Skin infections like MRSA, which spread through skin to skin contact as well as contact with equipment and shared items, are the cause of 56 percent of all outbreaks of infectious diseases in competitive sports in the U.S. But, by following a few simple steps, you can help prevent the spread of MRSA.

The Stop MRSA Now Coalition, in partnership with The Clorox Company and SwapMeSports.com, has teamed up with Grant Hill to launch Equip them Well, a program to help teach families and sports teams about practical MRSA prevention steps, such as washing hands and disinfecting equipment with a bleach solution.
I was really surprised when I heard about this and just had to share it with my readers.  With so much shared sports equipment, especially for younger kids, this is something that I am happy to be more aware of.  Perhaps it is worth the extra cost to make sure my kids have their own equipment.  Also, I'll be sure to clean and donate my used equipment once the girls outgrow it so that other kids can have their own as well.  For more information, be sure to check out the StopMRSANow site and watch the short video below.
 



*Disclaimer - Information for this post came from One2One and StopMRSANow.  As a One2One member, I am eligible for prizes by sharing this information.

0 comments:

Post a Comment