The National Military Family Association is an organization with the mission "To fight for benefits and programs that strengthen and protect uniformed services families and reflect the Nation’s respect for their Service." As part of this mission, they organize a program known as Operation Purple. Operation Purple Summer Camps are "free summer camps for military children whose parents are currently deployed. The program is the only camp program in existence that brings together kids from all military branches and provides them with tools to deal with war-related stress." You might be wondering how these camps are free. Corporate and individual donations make these camps possible. You can find out how to donate on the site if you choose. However, if you don't want to or are unable to donate, you can help by spreading the word so that others that might learn about this program as well.
While I don't have any personal experience with this program, knowing how difficult transitions are for children, it really does seem like a great idea. In fact, I had never heard of this program until I entered a contest that was designed to spread the word. Now, as a way to give back a little and continue to spread the word, I am hosting a giveaway for a portion of the prize that I won.
I am giving away the Operation Purple backpack, hat, water bottle, shirt, and wrist band shown above.
Here's what you have to do to win:
- Spread the word about operation purple and post a link here in the comments. You can tweet, facebook, and/or blog (for up to 3 entries). If you tweet, please use the hashtag #operationpurple. Also, please include the link to http://www.militaryfamily.org/
- Follow me on twitter. Post your user name here.
- Fan me on facebook. Post your initials here.
- Follow my blog on GFC (sidebar). Post your username here.
- Tweet about this giveaway and post a link here. (Can be done once daily)
- Only open to US residents
- Winner will be chosen using random.org
- Giveaway ends 11:59pm ET on November 2, 2010
- Include your email address in your comment if it is not available on your profile page. If an email address in not in the comment or on your profile page another winner will be chosen.
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
- Prize will be sent directly from me. I am not responsible for prizes that are lost or damaged during shipment. If you win a prize and do not receive it, please let me know.