Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sharing Happiness

Happiness seems to be contagious!

While a friend and I were waiting to pick up our kids from preschool today, we were just talking about happiness.  The sun was shining, the temperature was up, and we were both in the best moods we'd been in in a while.  Sometimes, something as simple as a sunny day can make you happy.

What other things make you happy?
  • I'm happy when a cashier is particularly kind and friendly.
  • I'm happy when I get a great deal on an item I've been wanting.
  • I'm happy when my kids come home from school with good news.
  • I'm happy when my husband notices that I've worked especially hard around the house.
  • I'm happy when I get to have lunch and good conversation with a friend.
  • I'm happy when I do good and follow my exercise and diet plan.
  • I'm happy when I can indulge in a small, but delicious piece of chocolate without feeling guilty.
  • I'm happy when someone compliments my kids on their manners or thoughtfulness.
Just think, if things as simple as that can make me happy, then small things probably make other people happy too.  It makes me wonder what I can do to make the world just a bit happier.  So, here's the plan.  I'm going to do little things each day and see if I notice a difference.  Perhaps if I spread some happiness, others will continue to pay it forward.

Smile - A smile shows you're happy.  When I great people, I will make sure that I smile.  I want people to know that I am happy to see them.   I want people to feel like they belong.  I want people to feel appreciated.  I hope that a small, but sincere smile will send that message and spread happiness.

Please & Thank You - Please and thank you are simple words that we learn as children.  They also are words that show appreciation.  Just the other day, when I said "thank you" to Pumpkin, she said to me, "Mom, you're an adult.  You don't have to say "thank you".  Only kids do."    What????   I have no idea where she heard that or why she thinks that to be true, but it isn't.  Parents need to show appreciation as well.  Whether teachers, food servers, cashiers, grocery baggers, doctors, or even your children for helping out around the house - people should be thanked for the work they do.   I know that it makes me happy when I feel appreciated.  I am going to make a better effort to be sure that I thank people for their help.

Giving - We try to be generous people.  We donate items that we no longer need or use.  We buy extra items for the classroom so that children that don't have the necessary money or supplies can have them.   However, I can always do more.  I used to send my unwanted coupons to military stationed overseas.  For some reason I stopped.  I think I'm going to start doing that again.  I am going to look for more opportunities to give of my time, talent, and money when possible.

Here's hoping that I'm right, and happiness is contagious.  That is one thing I certainly wouldn't mind catching!

*Disclaimer - I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hershey's blogging program, for a gift card worth $25 and some product. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment